Re: how to get rid of the staircase effect

also sprach Kevin Buhr <buhr@telus.net> [2003.02.17.1938 +0100]:
> Let me add that, in the past, I've had nothing but trouble using HP's
> JetDirect... erm... directly.  They've probably improved things since
> I last had to deal with it, but their old network stack couldn't
> handle more than one connection at once so, if a job was printing, the
> printer would just refuse new connections until it completed;
> sometimes jobs would simply mysteriously get lost; the printer would
> just get wedged as machines trying to print jobs fought for its
> attention; and on and on.

This is pretty much what we are perceiving. I allow myself no further
statement on the capabilities and brains of the responsible people.

> The solution was (and is) to designate one machine as the spooler for
> that printer and have all the other machines send the jobs through it.
> This is straightforward to set up using LPRng, and it has the added
> bonus that you can install and configure all sorts of fancy printer
> filtering stuff on just the one, spooling, machine and have all the
> clients take instant advantage of it.  (Samba can be used to provide
> shared printer service for any Windows clients that are lounging
> around, too.)  This is well worth setting up, in my opinion.

Yes, I am planning to do something along those lines.

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc