Gnome2 in testing - any chances?

Hi,

I use testing and hence Gnome1.  Some day I'd like to try out Gnome2,
but I am a bit reluctant to switch to unstable, as I have work to do,
and need a usable desktop.

Are there any chances that gnome2 will make it into testing within, say,
a few months?

Will I be better of reverting to stable and use the backport than 'risk'
an upgrade to unstable?

Is gnome2 worth the hassle?

I have my apt-preferences set up to allow installs from unstable, but I
am a bit reluctant to do so, since it includes a new libc.  If I upgrade
that, I can just as well move to sid, right?

The changes in an upgrade seem a bit intimidating:

root@segesta 5003 # apt-get -t unstable install gnome
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  abiword abiword-common acme aspell aspell-bin aspell-en bonobo
  bonobo-activation bug-buddy docbook docbook-dsssl docbook-xsl eog
  file-roller fontconfig galeon galeon-common gcc-3.2-base gconf-editor
  gconf2 gedit gnome-applets gnome-control-center gnome-core
  gnome-desktop-data gnome-doc-tools gnome-icon-theme gnome-media
  gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-session gnome-spell
  gnome-system-monitor gnome-terminal gnome-themes gnome-utils
  gnome2-user-guide gstreamer-gconf gstreamer-runtime jade libart-2.0-2
  libasound2 libaspell15 libatk1.0-0 libbonobo-activation4 libbonobo-dev
  libbonobo2 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0
  libbonoboui2-common libcupsys2 libeel2-2 libeel2-data libexpat1
  libfam0c102 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libfribidi0
  libgail-common libgail17 libgal21 libgcc1 libgconf2-4 libgcrypt1
  libgdk-pixbuf-dev libgdk-pixbuf-gnome-dev libgdk-pixbuf-gnome2
  libgdk-pixbuf2 libglade2-0 libglib2.0-0 libgnome-desktop-2 libgnome2-0
  libgnome2-common libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common
  libgnomeprint2.2-0 libgnomeprint2.2-data libgnomeprintui2.2-0
  libgnomeprintui2.2-common libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common
  libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgnutls5 libgstreamer0.6-0
  libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-common libgtkhtml2-0 libgtop2 liblinc1 liblzo1
  libmetacity0 libnautilus2-2 libncurses5 libncurses5-dev libopencdk4
  liborbit2 libpanel-applet2-0 libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common
  libperl5.8 librsvg2-2 libsp1 libstartup-notification0 libstdc++5
  libtasn1-0 libvte-common libvte4 libwnck-common libwnck4 libxft2
  libxml2 libxslt1 metacity metacity-properties nautilus nautilus-data
  xscreensaver xscreensaver-gnome yelp
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  aspell-da gaspell gnome-help gtop libaspell10 libfam0 libnautilus0
  libpspell-ispell1 libpspell4
  abiword abiword-common acme aspell-bin bonobo-activation bug-buddy
  docbook docbook-dsssl docbook-xsl file-roller fontconfig galeon
  galeon-common gcc-3.2-base gconf-editor gconf2 gnome
  gnome-desktop-data gnome-doc-tools gnome-icon-theme
  gnome-system-monitor gnome-themes gnome2-user-guide gstreamer-gconf
  gstreamer-runtime jade libart-2.0-2 libaspell15 libatk1.0-0
  libbonobo-activation4 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0
  libbonoboui2-common libeel2-2 libeel2-data libfam0c102 libfontconfig1
  libfribidi0 libgail-common libgail17 libgcc1 libgconf2-4 libgcrypt1
  libglade2-0 libgnome-desktop-2 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common
  libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomeprint2.2-0
  libgnomeprint2.2-data libgnomeprintui2.2-0 libgnomeprintui2.2-common
  libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common
  libgnutls5 libgstreamer0.6-0 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-common
  libgtkhtml2-0 libgtop2 liblinc1 liblzo1 libmetacity0 libnautilus2-2
  libopencdk4 liborbit2 libpanel-applet2-0 libpango1.0-0
  libpango1.0-common libperl5.8 librsvg2-2 libsp1
  libstartup-notification0 libstdc++5 libtasn1-0 libvte-common libvte4
  libwnck-common libwnck4 libxft2 metacity metacity-properties
  nautilus-data xscreensaver xscreensaver-gnome yelp
33 packages upgraded, 90 newly installed, 9 to remove and 378  not upgraded.
Need to get 54.5MB/55.9MB of archives. After unpacking 71.6MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

--
René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)			http://sights.seindal.dk/