Re: how to get rid of the staircase effect

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 03:11:58PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
| We have a HP laser printer here with a JetDirect server. It's, of
| course, Windows optimized, so all LPR clients have to suffer from the
| staircase effect
|                 which occurs
|                             when the printer needs
|                                                   \r for a line feed.

It understands LF for line feed just fine.  See how the lines of the
page were fed upwards?  However, the carriage was never returned to
the left side of the page.  Like a typewriter, some printers need to
both feed the line and return the carriage as separate commands.

| Since I am not the only one with that problem, I am asking here for
| advise on how to solve this the least "hacky" way. Can't I just
| apt-get install something to fix it?

Put an input filter on the queue that replaces \n with \r\n.

| Or should I use this "opportunity" to (finally) upgrade to CUPS?

Go for it.  CUPS is really not that complicated to set up, and is
quite flexible in operationt.

-D

--
> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0