Re: network problem: configuration/DNS? cannot access internalmachine using our external IP

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 05:39:05PM +0100, Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf) wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 18:10, Jeremy Gaddis wrote:
> > something i do that you may or may not be able to use in your
> > situation is to have different a records for the same hostname.
> >
> > internally, my network uses the main.gaddis.org. subdomain,
> > which doesn't exist outside of the internal network.  i run
> > nameservers on the internal side which are authoritative for
> > main.gaddis.org. subdomain. any machine inside the network that
> > looks up (for example) www.main.gaddis.org gets the a record
> > from the internal nameservers, pointing at 192.168.0.x.  anyone
> > outside of my network (e.g. on the public internet) that does a
> > lookup for the same host gets redirected to my external ip.
> > then i have 80/tcp port-forwarded into the network to the
> > 192.168.0.x address... if you understand that.
>
> If I understand you, your local DNS only revolves for names within your
> internal domain.
>
> Your solution sounds nice as it would solve another of my problems: the
> naming of my machine.
> Right now I access it using its IP. I could have changed the host file
> on all our local machines, but that's not really a good solution.
> But it's probably faster than any other as we only have 10-20 machines,
> and less than 5 really need access to this server now.
> The DNS seems the perfect solution but I was trying to avoid it.
> But that seems like I can't.
>
> But then I probably have to change the network config of all our machines
> to point to this local DNS. Am I correct?

Yes, just stick 'nameserver a.b.c.d' in /etc/resolv.conf where a.b.c.d
is the address of your local nameserver.

There's a bunch of nameservers in Debian. I looked at a few of them,
needing a DNS that would be authoritative for the local network and
pass everything else on to my ISP if my dialup was up. I found dnsmasq
to be the simplest to set up, and it's nice and lightweight.

Pigeon