RE: network problem: configuration/DNS? cannot access internalmachine using our external IP

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 18:10, Jeremy Gaddis wrote:
> something i do that you may or may not be able to use in your
> situation is to have different a records for the same hostname.
>
> internally, my network uses the main.gaddis.org. subdomain,
> which doesn't exist outside of the internal network.  i run
> nameservers on the internal side which are authoritative for
> main.gaddis.org. subdomain. any machine inside the network that
> looks up (for example) www.main.gaddis.org gets the a record
> from the internal nameservers, pointing at 192.168.0.x.  anyone
> outside of my network (e.g. on the public internet) that does a
> lookup for the same host gets redirected to my external ip.
> then i have 80/tcp port-forwarded into the network to the
> 192.168.0.x address... if you understand that.

If I understand you, your local DNS only revolves for names within your
internal domain.

Your solution sounds nice as it would solve another of my problems: the
naming of my machine.
Right now I access it using its IP. I could have changed the host file on all our local machines, but that's not really a good solution.
But it's probably faster than any other as we only have 10-20 machines, and less than 5 really need access to this server now.
The DNS seems the perfect solution but I was trying to avoid it.
But that seems like I can't.

But then I probably have to change the network config of all our machines to point to this local DNS. Am I correct?

Cheers,

Jerome