Re: [OT] hardware failure

on Sun, 16 Feb 2003 01:28:18PM -0500, sean finney insinuated:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 12:47:25PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> > My computer has been on a downward spiral for a while now[1], but
> > i've been too busy to deal with it.  Now it won't even go into
> > single-user mode.  It just hangs at the boot prompt.  Says,
> > before hanging.
> >
> > It's not the hard drive -- I replaced it and did a clean install.
> >
> > It's not the memory -- I have new 256M in there.
> >
> > The motherboard??  I'm clueless.
>
> given that you've basically replaced everything else, i would guess
> that it is something on your motherboard.

blech.

> if i were forced to be more specific, i'd guess your ide controller.

what's that?

> if you have a rescue floppy, can you boot off of that?

i'll check when i get home ... good call.

> if your cd drive is on a different ide chain, can you boot from
> that?

is an IDE chain the big cable of plugs that i plug my drives into?
would a differenc IDE chain be a different cable?

> if you move your hard drive to a different ide chain, does it boot?

i'll open up the box and tinker ... though if i'm right on whan an IDE
chain is, i don't recall seeing more than one big cable in there last
time i was moving stuff around.

> have there been any other symptoms lately while you were running
> your machine (like inexplicable crashes or filesystem corruption)?

well, i've been turning it off every night, which has seemend to
prevent all crashes for over two or three weeks.  however, if i leave
it on for longer than a day, it will do what i described in previous
postings -- cut all signals to everything, and crash.

yesterday it froze completely twice, each time when galeon segfaulted
(i *was* running about 30 tabs each time, to be fair).

other than that, no.

> have there been any other incidents involving deers and sub-zero
> temperatures in your room since your last publication?

hell no.  mercifully.

thanks,

</nori>

--