Re: [OT] hardware failure

hey nori,

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 12:47:25PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> My computer has been on a downward spiral for a while now[1], but i've
> been too busy to deal with it.  Now it won't even go into single-user
> mode.  It just hangs at the boot prompt.  Says, "Loading linux ...."
> and then prints anywhere from one to ten .'s before hanging.
>
> It's not the hard drive -- I replaced it and did a clean install.
>
> It's not the memory -- I have new 256M in there.
>
> The motherboard??  I'm clueless.

given that you've basically replaced everything else, i would guess that
it is something on your motherboard.  if i were forced to be more
specific, i'd guess your ide controller.  if you have a rescue floppy,
can you boot off of that?  if your cd drive is on a different ide chain,
can you boot from that?  if you move your hard drive to a different ide
chain, does it boot?  have there been any other symptoms lately while
you were running your machine (like inexplicable crashes or filesystem
corruption)?  have there been any other incidents involving deers and
sub-zero temperatures in your room since your last publication?

	sean