[OT] hardware failure

My computer has been on a downward spiral for a while now[1], but i've
been too busy to deal with it.  Now it won't even go into single-user
mode.  It just hangs at the boot prompt.  Says, "Loading linux ...."
and then prints anywhere from one to ten .'s before hanging.

It's not the hard drive -- I replaced it and did a clean install.

It's not the memory -- I have new 256M in there.

The motherboard??  I'm clueless.

Thanks,

</nori>

[1] see "Hitting a Deer With Your Computer In The Backseat," Heikkinen
    et al., December 2002

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/