Re: Permissions on source package

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 08:11:08AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:

[Please don't send me private copies of list mail.]

> On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Sounds like you extracted the source package as root. Don't do that; you
> > don't need to.
>
> Ah, thanks.
>
>  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html
>
> shows:
>
>  To download a source package, you would use the following command:
>
>      # apt-get source packagename

You might file a bug against apt-howto saying that it should use '$'
rather than '#' here, so as not to recommend being root.

> BTW on that page:
>
>      # dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
>
> is there any need for -rfakeroot when run as root?

No.

> Now, I use the following to change the version before building the
> package:
>
>    $ dch -v 0.9.3-2+local.1
>
> is there a way to use --increment when building locally.  I assume that
> would break things.  It would be nice if there was an
> --append-to-version.  I guess my question is really: what's the easiest
> way to update the version.

-v, probably.

> Finally, I suppose if 0.9.3-3 shows up in the debian sources then my next
> dist-upgrade will overwrite my local version, correct?

Yes. You can use an epoch in your local version if you want to avoid
that.

> It would be nice if a dist-upgrade could warn me that a new package is
> available, and then I could download the source again, apply my changes
> and rebuild again.

Sounds like you want something like apt-src.

Cheers,