Re: Permissions on source package

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 12:23:48AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > The owner and group were preserved on the source files so that means when
> > I try to do some operations I see, for example:
> >
> > moseley@bumby:~/libdvdread2-0.9.3/dvdread$ touch dvd_reader.c
> > touch: creating `dvd_reader.c': Permission denied
> >
> > moseley@bumby:~/libdvdread2-0.9.3/dvdread$ ls -l !$
> > ls -l dvd_reader.c
> > -rw-rw-r--    1 6581     30099       26332 May 19  2002 dvd_reader.c
>
> Sounds like you extracted the source package as root. Don't do that; you
> don't need to.

Ah, thanks.

 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

shows:

 To download a source package, you would use the following command:

     # apt-get source packagename

but then the rest of the examples never leave root, which is what I
expected.

BTW on that page:

     # dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b

is there any need for -rfakeroot when run as root?

Now, I use the following to change the version before building the
package:

   $ dch -v 0.9.3-2+local.1

is there a way to use --increment when building locally.  I assume that
would break things.  It would be nice if there was an
--append-to-version.  I guess my question is really: what's the easiest
way to update the version.

Finally, I suppose if 0.9.3-3 shows up in the debian sources then my next
dist-upgrade will overwrite my local version, correct?

It would be nice if a dist-upgrade could warn me that a new package is
available, and then I could download the source again, apply my changes
and rebuild again.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org