Re: My cup runneth over!

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 06:46:03PM -0500, David Turetsky wrote:
> You sure there ain't some way to prevent a slew of xterm windows from
> opening up each time I reboot into gdm?
>
> Earlier today, if there was one, there was 60.70.80
>
> Seems like each time I reboot, the number doubles!!!

the SAME EXACT THING was happening to me. i'm not all that adept
at configuring this X stuff, so if you ask me there's something
behind-the-scenes that appears to have a bit of a hole in it.
(i.e. instead of clobbering the saved session with the current
session, it appears to APPEND the current session to the
previously stored session, hence doubling every instance of
every window for the next time you log in.)

and i'm on woody/stable.

my solution?

	apt-get install kde

i know, it may be from the frying pan into the fire (there are
some odd things with dialogs tucking themselves under the
menubar across the top of my screen, and the kde panel not
displaying itself properly on first startup -- i have to 'hide'
and then 'unhide' it first) but it's working reasonably well for
my purposes.

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #13 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
How can you generate RANDOM EMAIL SIGNATURES? Many email clients
have this feature -- for mutt, simply declare in your ~/.muttrc
file something like
	send-hook debian- "set signature='~/.signature-debian |'"
(note the quoted value ends with a 'pipe|' symbol) Then whenever
you send email to any debian-* address, it'll append the output
from your script, instead of appending a static file.