Re: how do you save a buffer out as a file in vim?

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:26:04AM -0500, Drew Cohan wrote:
> I want to be able to open one file in vim (vim file1), copy
> some arbitrary lines (v, down arrow, yy), and then save that
> buffer out as a file (file2).
>
> What is the ":" command to save out the buffer?

vim will tell you lots of these kinds of answers once you know
how to ask it...

	:help save
	:help edit
	:help window
	:help paragraph
	:help }

	:help :s

	:help u
	:help ^R
	:help ^W

(hit control-w then q to close the help window -- or any other
vim buffer)

not to mention

	:options  ...see ":help :options"
	:dig      ...try ":help :dig"
	:reg      ...see ":help :reg"

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #70 from Jeff <dr0ker@yahoo.com>
:
The Debian-specific command:
	update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
allows you to quickly CHANGE YOUR DEFAULT WINDOW MANAGER. You
might fiddle with "x-session-manager" settings instead, if it's
appropriate for your Debian setup.
  Try "man update-alternatives" to see a list of some of the
other default settings you may alter with the command.