spoofing the From: header

I recently found one of my own posts on Google groups... and I really do
*not* like seeing my preferred address splattered all over the web like
that (And yes, I know I knew we were being archived on the web, I
just had sort of a brain-fart about it)...
So I got to thinking: There was a thread just recently about defining
different from-headers in mutt, based on what folder you're in, and I
could do that... but it leads me to a big question:

If I post to debian-user with a totally bogus "from" address, will the
listserver filter me out as being "not a subscriber"? Would this screw
up the threading or anything? And would people still be able to find my
PGP key on the server? (I suppose I could add the phony address as an
alias in my key if needed...)  Obviously people would not be able to
send me off-list replies, but I see no problem with that.

And assuming that it's acceptable to do this in the first place, would
it (a) be possible, and (b) make any sense, to do it with a send-hook
instead of half a dozen folder-hooks?  ('cause I really don't want it to
depend on what folder I'm in... I want it to depend on the fact of
sending mail to the list).

	Thanks,
	Chris