Re: Hardware IDE ATA Raid 1 support in Linux Debian - Linux disapointment

On Saturday 15 February 2003 05:28, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> [1] I hear 3ware doesn't suck, but I've never used one.

>From what I read in a review in c't magazine, 3ware has nice drivers included
in the standard kernel and good performance when it comes to RAID 0 or 1. The
review also had a look at RAID 5 performance and every single IDE controller
sucked royally (they tested 3ware, Adaptec, LSI, Promise, Dawicontrol and
others), delivering about the performance of a single laptop drive.

The con of using a 3ware controller is that those things aren't on the cheap
side. In Germany you pay about EUR 340 to 350 for a 4-port controller because
you pay for the RAID 5 functionality. I haven't checked the prices for the 2
port cards, those might be affordable since they only need support for RAID 0
and 1 which is rather simple to implement.

--
Got Backup?