more kernel questions

I've just compiled and installed a new kernel, using make-kpkg. However,
I'm not sure it's actually running. uname -a still gives me 2.4.18-586tsc,
which is the old one - my new kernel doesn't have the 586tsc bit on the
end of the name, and in any case is a 686 kernel - I've recently upgraded
the motherboard. Also, all the references during boot are to
/lib/modules/2.3.18-586tsc, rather than /lib/modules/2.4.18.

lilo was run by the install script, and I've run it again to make sure.

Is there something else I've missed?

Thanks,

Richard