Re: maildir

* john gennard (joney@clara.co.uk) [030214 11:44]:
> I run Woody and use getmail to pull email into mboxes.
> The latest release of getmail supports only maildirs, so
> I need to get use to them.

Getmail 2.x (which are in woody, testing, and unstable) supports
maildir, mbox, or even piping off to an MDA.  It does look like as of
version 3.x they've dropped mbox support, but the pipe delivery still
exists.  That's not to say you shouldn't use maildir, though; it's
probably the most reliable delivery method.

> I've recently installed Knoppix which seems a good second
> operating system to use for experimentation and now to
> learn about maildirs.
>
> But I'm thoroughly confused:-
> Woody reacts to the command maildirmake and has its manpage.
> It doesn't have a manpage for maildir (but I've got one off
> the net). I can't trace any installed package which obviously
> provides maildir.

maildirmake is provided in the maildrop package.  It's also in
courier-base.

> Knoppix does not mention maildir in any way - which is
> surprising given that the install put 2 gig on my hard drive.
>
> Would someone please explain where maildir is etc, and perhaps
> point to some examples of using the command.

By 'the command', I assume you mean /usr/bin/maildirmake.  Is the
manpage insufficient?  Oh, you mean on the Knoppix install.  'apt-get
install maildrop'.  Then man maildirmake.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/