maildir

I run Woody and use getmail to pull email into mboxes.
The latest release of getmail supports only maildirs, so
I need to get use to them.

I've recently installed Knoppix which seems a good second
operating system to use for experimentation and now to
learn about maildirs.

But I'm thoroughly confused:-
Woody reacts to the command maildirmake and has its manpage.
It doesn't have a manpage for maildir (but I've got one off
the net). I can't trace any installed package which obviously
provides maildir.

Knoppix does not mention maildir in any way - which is
surprising given that the install put 2 gig on my hard drive.

Would someone please explain where maildir is etc, and perhaps
point to some examples of using the command.

I've found packages to convert mbox to maildir and to circulate
email across large networks as well as a wealth of literature
but no examples.

John.