Re: KDE 3? or 4?

Bill Webster <bwebster@burgoyne.com> writes:

> I am having a problem and I am wondering if someone out there is having
> the same problem or can explain what is going on.
>
> My laptop was running KDE3 from unstable. About 3 days ago I did an
> upgrade that upgraded it to what appears to be a partial upgrade to
> version 4.

KDE 3 only appeared in the archives recently.  If you were really using
KDE from unstable, it was KDE 2.

> But in the process it removed something that is needed in order to
> work properly. Now I can not get a desktop, nor can I reinstall KDE3,
> unstable repository seems to be missing some packages. I am unable to
> get any version of KDE from anywhere to install. I could easily be
> doing something wrong but everything was working great 3 days ago.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

You're probably confused by the fact that kdelibs4 are the kdelibs for
KDE 3.  There is no KDE version 4 yet.

As for the missing packages (kdenetwork and kdepim, I think), they
should appear in the archives in the next few days.  You'll also need to
remove libfam0 and anything depending on it before you can install the
new KDE.

--
On a scale of 1 to 10?  It sucked.