Re: Machines with Debian preinstalled?

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> also sprach A.J. Rossini <rossini@blindglobe.net> [2003.02.12.2306 +0100]:
>> (yes, I can do it myself; done that about 20+ times, at this point,
>> and have FAI running at home BUT, I'd really like to save time at this
>> point...).
>
> I can install Debian from CD in 11 Minutes, with the fastest net
> connection I have available (~ 4mbps) in 17. I doubt you can really
> save that much time buying it online, figuring out what's installed
> and amending your system to fit your needs.

I realize that -- and FAI makes it even easier, in some respects.  But
it really is a matter of economy.  If there is a good supplier, it
will save time, especially for the scale I'm thinking about.  It's
also really annoying to buy stuff I don't need (whether Windows or
RedHat or SuSE support, for example...).

And while grey boxes are an option, there are time issues associated
with that as well, sigh...

(I really have thought through the alternatives, honest, down to
employing SystemImager, for example).

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini@u.washington.edu