Re: Woody installer

* Kesav Tadimeti <Kesav_Tadimeti@KeaneIndia.com> [11-02-2003 15:38]:
> I am thinking of installing Debian. I do not, however, want to spend too
> much time doing that. I have installed FreeBSD 4.3 before, so I'd like to
> know if Debian (Woody) installation is as easy/difficult as FreeBSD.

I _think_ Debian _might_ be _a little bit_ more intuitive.... to some.

> Second, are most of the application packages (.DEB) contained within the
> 7-CD set? Or do I have to connect to the internet to have them installed.

You can download the first couple of cds instead of all seven.

There is a way to create a cd with only those debs you need. Never
done that, but it's well documented.

I personally need the equivalent of two floppies for an installation
and get everything else from the internet.

If you run everything from stable, you're best bet is probably
getting the cds (buy, download, borrow). If you want testing or
unstable software, you really want to have access to the internet
regularly to get the latest and greatest.

Stable only gets security updates, while unstable might see three
releases of a large application every week.

Debian is very flexible and I am sure you can make it work well for
you if you spend some time getting to know how stuff works.

Good luck,
Bob