Re: nvidia drivers conflicting with mesa opengl drivers.

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 10:50:16 -0800
Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 03:43:31PM +0100, Wim De Smet wrote:
> > I have on my system the nvidia drivers installed, and these provide
> > the(propietary) nvidia opengl drivers. But I can't seem to get
> > apt-get to remove xlibmesa because it seems to need that, while it
> > shouldn't because I have another openGL version installed. Does
> > anybody know how to solve this dependency problem?
>
> Sure.  Don't remove xlibmesa.  You don't have a dependency problem,
> you have an understanding problem.  The nvidia drivers aren't
> high-level.
>
> The nvidia driver provides the low-level stuff.  You have to have
> xlibmesa if you want to actually USE it.

Not to be cocky or anything (you are right I don't know much about it),
but I thought the kernel driver was the low level and then the glx
package was the high level? Anyway it doesn't seem to do anything wrong
except some weird error while compiling xwine, that I should remove
libGL.a.

mvg,
Wim

--