repository for localy compiled package

 Hello,

 What's the right way to make apt use my localy compiled packages
instead of those from {stable,testing,unstable}. I've made a .deb
with dpkg-buildpackage and created a local repository as described
in /usr/share/doc/apt-howto/en/apt-howto-en.html but apt-get
still uses packages from woody:

lexa:/home# apt-cache policy libsasl7
libsasl7:
  Installed: 1.5.27-3
  Candidate: 1.5.27-3
  Version Table:
     1.5.27-3.3 0
         90 http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
     1.5.27-3.3 0
        500 file: packages/ Packages
 *** 1.5.27-3 0
        990 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I'm using apt pinning for mixing stable/unstable, but tending to
stop using it since almost any package from testing/unstable want
to upgrade libc and half of the system which might be not a bright idea.
 So I'm trying to compile source packages from unstable for installing it
on my system, but want to know how to make apt-get to use my localy compiled
packages.

--

  Best regards,
  Alexey Chetroi

---
Smile... Tomorrow will be worse.   (c) Murphy's law