weird pppd behaviour

Hi,

I set up a php web page which enables the modem on my gateway to be
connected and disconnect.

Essentially, I just added www-data to the dip group and get php to
call pon and poff.

But for some reason, when pon is evoked by the www-data, pppd listens
on *:www

lsof gives this (amoungst other things):

pppd      2448      root   16u  IPv4       1243   TCP *:www (LISTEN)

Why does it do this?

If I then restart apache, it fails because something else is listening
on port 80.

pppd doesn't do this when I run it as any other user, so why as
www-data?

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
					Psalm 130:3