Re: problem USB

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 01:33:44PM +1300, Vivian Stewart wrote:
>  I have a problem with debian3 and that is, that I want a desktop
>  environment where USB keyboard & mouse,

Easy.  Install hotplug and let it handle it for you.

>  soundblaster Live,

Again, easy.  Use the emu10k1 driver.

>  Geforce3 hardware acceleration

Yuck, sure, use nvidia's non-Free drivers.  Get the nvidia-kernel-src
and nvidia-glx-src packages and read their documentation.

>  all work And doing this seems to be a mission.  especially USB
>  keyboard & mouse.

Not at all.  In fact, you shouldn't need to do anything at all, if you
read the install guide.

>  the install kernel is lame and

Uh, again, read the install guide.

>  changing kernels and insterting the right modules seems to always

Um...Have you read the install guide at all?  It details exactly how to
get a new kernel, and tells you why you need that.

>  end up with me being able to get into X, which I wish it didn't, but
>  then not having keyboard or mouse input so ?

Um, OK.

>  linux finds the USB devices but doesn't use them this is weird to me.

I really don't think you've looked into this very hard at all.  My
advice would be a) read the install guide, b) read the docs at
http://newbiedoc.sf.net/, c) read the docs at http://qref.sf.net/, d)
install kernel-image-2.4.18-386, hotplug and discover e) use the nv
driver with X for now.  It's certainly possible to get Debian working
with your hardware, it's not even that hard.  You will need to do some
work though.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/