Re: vi temporary files remaining in dir

--- Gregory Seidman <gss+debian@cs.brown.edu> wrote:
> Joris Huizer sez:
> } I hope someone can help on this problem I have:
> each
> } time I edit a file using VIM, " Vi IMproved 6.1
> (2002
> } Mar 24, compiled Apr 14 2002 20:41:29)" I get a
> } "temporary" copy of the original file.
> }
> } The naming is as follows: when I edit, say,
> trash.txt,
> } the "temporary" copy is named trash.txt~
> }
> } I searched the web on the keywords: 'vi temporary
> } files debian' but it didn't help anything
>
> This is neither debian-specific, nor are they
> temporary files. You are
> seeing backup files.
>
> } Can anybody tell me what might be causing the
> problem
> } ? I think this problem started after installing a
> gtk
> } version (to be able to run gvim - but I don't
> really
> } use that anyway)
>
> It also isn't a problem, it is a configuration
> option. Add the following
> line to your .vimrc and you shouldn't see any more
> backup files:
>
> set nobackup
>
> } Thanks for any help,
> } Joris
> --Greg

Wow that was simple !

Apparently, I had that option on as I copied the
.vimrc of the internet of somebody claiming it had
smart settings:

" Configuration file for gvim
" Written for Debian GNU/Linux by W.Akkerman
<wakkerma@debian.org>
" Some modifications by J.H.M. Dassen
<jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl>

" Slightly modified by Eduard Bloch <eduard@bloch.com>

I forgot to mention that - I had forgotten I did that
a bit :-)

Thanks again,

Joris