backporting

I needed a newer version of sane to support my scanner and ended up backporting the sane packages from unstable to testing

but as its the forst time I have done this sort of thing I just want to ask - have I done this a sensible way ?

I basically followed instructions from

http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-port

$ apt-get source package/unstable
$ dpkg-source -x package.dsc
$ cd package-version
 ... inspect required packages (Build-depends in .dsc file) and
    install them too.  You need the "fakeroot" package also.

$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

    ...Then to install
$ su -c "dpkg -i packagefile.deb"

but in addition the sane-backends package had a dependency on gphoto2 that I couldn't resolve - but I don't need gphoto2 support so I deleted the --with-gphoto2 line from the configure script in rules and removed gphoto2 from the depends line

the resulting packages installed fine and work nicley.

Are they now installed as part of the package system ?

Am I likely to have broken anything by modifying the configure script without changing the package version ? (if so - how do I change the package version)

all comments welcome - I've only been using debian for a few weeks having migrated fron redhat.

So far its goping OK - but there are a few packages where I really need more up-to date versions.

--

Sean