Re: backporting

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 05:27:54PM +0000, Sean Burlington wrote:
> I needed a newer version of sane to support my scanner and ended up
> backporting the sane packages from unstable to testing
>
> but as its the forst time I have done this sort of thing I just want to
> ask - have I done this a sensible way ?
>
> I basically followed instructions from
>
> http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-port
>
> $ apt-get source package/unstable
> $ dpkg-source -x package.dsc
> $ cd package-version
>  ... inspect required packages (Build-depends in .dsc file) and
>     install them too.  You need the "fakeroot" package also.
>
> $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
>
>     ...Then to install
> $ su -c "dpkg -i packagefile.deb"
>
> but in addition the sane-backends package had a dependency on gphoto2
> that I couldn't resolve - but I don't need gphoto2 support so I deleted
> the --with-gphoto2 line from the configure script in rules and removed
> gphoto2 from the depends line

Sounds good.

> the resulting packages installed fine and work nicley.
>
> Are they now installed as part of the package system ?

Yep.  You can see what dpkg thinks of them by running 'dpkg -l
packagename'.

> Am I likely to have broken anything by modifying the configure script
> without changing the package version ? (if so - how do I change the
> package version)

No.  The worst case is that apt decides it likes Debian's packages more
than yours and tries to 'upgrade' it to whatever it sees on your mirror.
You can avoid this by bumping the version number, but since it seems the
point of this was to get a newer version, you should be fine.

> all comments welcome - I've only been using debian for a few weeks
> having migrated fron redhat.

Wow, impressive :)  Two weeks from newbie to package backporter :)

> So far its goping OK - but there are a few packages where I really need
> more up-to date versions.

Yeah, that's true.  Try apt-get.org for lots of other backports and
unofficial packages; you might even want to list your packages there.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/