vesa driver crashes

I am running woody(initial release) on a P4 machine.
The version of X does not support the ProSavageDDR video card built-in
to my P4MFM motherboard.

When choosing the vesa driver, after some flickers it works OK.

The problem arises, when I switch to the virtual console(e.g. tty1). The
system just freezes. No activity at all.

To get out, I reset the PC.

$ XFree86 -version

XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 21 December 2001
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.17 i686 [ELF]

$ uname -a

Linux platinum 2.4.18 #2 Thu Jun 20 18:23:17 PHT 2002 i686 unknown

thanx.