Re: vesa driver crashes

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 02:37:06PM +0800, Joel M. Pareja wrote:
> I am running woody(initial release) on a P4 machine.
> The version of X does not support the ProSavageDDR video card built-in
> to my P4MFM motherboard.
>
> When choosing the vesa driver, after some flickers it works OK.
>
> The problem arises, when I switch to the virtual console(e.g. tty1). The
> system just freezes. No activity at all.

That doesn't sound good at all.  It might just be a flaw with the vesa
driver or the card though...Have you googled for similar symptoms?

> $ XFree86 -version
>
> XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6510)
> Release Date: 21 December 2001
>         If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
>         newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
>         reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.17 i686 [ELF]

It's possible that X 4.2 might work better (or so I hear); a driver
specific to your card would be even better though.  If you decide to try
X4.2, you can get debs for woody from
http://people.debian.org/~blade/woody/.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/