Re: GRUB configuration question

Joseph Monti wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am the project manager/developer for GrubConf
> [http://grubconf.sourceforge.net] (is in beta at the moment). GrubConf
> is a graphical GRUB configuration tool. I have a few questions for
> Debian users (I use Gentoo and dont have a system that I can load Debian
> to and dont know anyone with Debian that uses GRUB).
>
> Right now GrubConf thinks the GRUB configuration file is
> /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> I am wondering, could this assumption fail on a Debian system? If so,
> what configuration would lead to this?
>
> Thanks!
> - Joe

Debian's Grub package (at least as of 0.92) uses /boot/grub/menu.lst as
the configuration file. That's also the name of the config file referred
to in the Grub manual - see link below.

http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub-0.92/html_mono/grub.html#Configuration

The Debian package also includes a script called 'update-grub' which
will generate /boot/grub/menu.lst the first time it's run, and then will
update the file on subsequent runs if, for example, you upgrade your
kernel or add another kernel etc.

Tom