Re: shuttle disaster

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 10:32:10PM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> My dictionary (American Heritage College Dictionary) sz they're
> synonyms.  Save your valuable exemption for a real error :)

And American Heritage Dictionary also screws up the definition of
"hacker," giving it the meaning of "cracker."  This should be a clue
in this group.  Use dict instead, as you can (usually) get multiple
sources for the definition (geosynchronous and geostationary being an
exception, apparently).

All geostationary orbits are also geosynchronous, but not all
geosynchronous orbits are geostationary.

baloo@ursine:~$ dict geosynchronous
1 definition found

From WordNet (r) 1.7 [wn]:

  geosynchronous
       adj : of or having an orbit with a fixed period of 24 hours
             (although the position in the orbit may not be fixed
             with respect to the earth)
baloo@ursine:~$ dict geostationary
1 definition found

From WordNet (r) 1.7 [wn]:

  geostationary
       adj : of or having a geosynchronous orbit such that the
       position
             in such an orbit is fixed with respect to the earth; "a
             geostationary satellite"

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user