Re: shuttle disaster

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 00:04, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 10:32:10PM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> > My dictionary (American Heritage College Dictionary) sz they're
> > synonyms.  Save your valuable exemption for a real error :)
>
> And American Heritage Dictionary also screws up the definition of
> "hacker," giving it the meaning of "cracker."  This should be a clue
> in this group.  Use dict instead, as you can (usually) get multiple
> sources for the definition (geosynchronous and geostationary being an
> exception, apparently).
>
> All geostationary orbits are also geosynchronous, but not all
> geosynchronous orbits are geostationary.
>
> baloo@ursine:~$ dict geosynchronous
> 1 definition found
>
> From WordNet (r) 1.7 [wn]:
>
>   geosynchronous
>        adj : of or having an orbit with a fixed period of 24 hours
>              (although the position in the orbit may not be fixed
>              with respect to the earth)
>
> baloo@ursine:~$ dict geostationary
> 1 definition found
>
> From WordNet (r) 1.7 [wn]:
>
>   geostationary
>        adj : of or having a geosynchronous orbit such that the
>        position
>              in such an orbit is fixed with respect to the earth; "a
>              geostationary satellite"

Ah ha!  The satellite can be in a polar orbit at 35,000 (38,000?) Km,
so would be geosynchronous but not geostationary.

Does American Heritage have a BTS?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ ron.l.johnson |
| "For me and windows it became a matter of easy to start    |
|  with, and becoming increasingly difficult to be produc-   |
|  tive as time went on, and if something went wrong very    |
|  difficult to fix, compared to linux's large over head     |
|  setting up and learning the system with ease of use and   |
|  the increase in productivity becoming larger the longer I |
|  use the system."                                          |
|   Rohan Nicholls , The Netherlands                         |