wireless: what to take /out/

Hey all:

I'm trying to get my wireless card working (Orinoco built-in mini card).
I've had some people suggest that I need to take PCMCIA support out of the
kernel. (Ok, done.) But it still doesn't seem to be working....

Under Network-device support I've moved everything to module instead of
support compiled in. Do I need to remove the modules as well? Tonight I
installed

ifconfig shows no wlan (only eth0 and lo).

I've got the following in my wireless.opts config file:
# updated according to
# http://danplanet.com/dell_3800.html
*,*,*,*)
        ESSID="linksys"
        mode="Ad-Hoc"
        DHCP="y"
        NICKNAME="debian"
        ;;

The ESSID is what the router broadcasts as (not sure of how to say that,
but basically it's the default name for the router). (Once I get
everything working I'm going to change it to a cooler name.)

lsmod shows:
debian:/usr/src/linux# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
NVdriver             1065088  11
orinoco                29224   0 (unused)
hermes                  3332   0 [orinoco]
ds                      6472   3
i82365                 21240   3
pcmcia_core            41184   0 [ds i82365]
sg                     23292   0 (unused)
sr_mod                 12688   0 (unused)
loop                    7832   0 (unused)

debian:/usr/src/linux# cardctl info
PRODID_1="Lucent Technologies"
PRODID_2="WaveLAN/IEEE"
PRODID_3="Version 01.01"
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0156,0002
FUNCID=6
PRODID_1=""
PRODID_2=""
PRODID_3=""
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0000,0000
FUNCID=255
PRODID_1="O2Micro"
PRODID_2="SmartCardBus Reader"
PRODID_3="V1.0"
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=ffff,0001
FUNCID=255

/etc/pcmcia/config has the following listed:
card "Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter"
  version "Lucent Technologies", "WaveLAN/IEEE"
    bind "orinoco_cs"

    card "Lucent Technologies WaveLAN Adapter"
    version "Lucent Technologies", "WaveLAN/PCMCIA"
    bind "wavelan_cs"

	# Added by request of Nuno
	card "Lucent Adapter"
       manfid 0x156, 0x0002
       bind "orinoco_cs"

I can ping the router when I'm plugged in (it's a linksys 4-port
wired/wireless router), but I can't ping the router when I'm using
wireless (d'uh?).

I'm not sure what else to check. :( I can only assume the router works as
it's brand new and my lap top can see it from windows. Unfortunately I
think I have the wrong windows driver (I'm running 2000, and I have the XP
driver) and I can't actually connect to the internet using my laptop
(although I can see the router I can't ping it). Unfortunately Acer's
solution is to wipe the harddrive and install XP to see if it's a driver
problem...my answer to that is, "hmm, no."

Any more tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]