Re: wireless: what to take /out/

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 12:26:32AM -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Hey all:
>
> I'm trying to get my wireless card working (Orinoco built-in mini card).

I have a similar card (from IBM, but it's still lucent).

> I've had some people suggest that I need to take PCMCIA support out of the
> kernel. (Ok, done.) But it still doesn't seem to be working....
>
> Under Network-device support I've moved everything to module instead of
> support compiled in. Do I need to remove the modules as well? Tonight I
> installed
>
> ifconfig shows no wlan (only eth0 and lo).

What about ifconfig -a  Are you actually assigning an address to the
card?  Look in /etc/network/interfaces

> I've got the following in my wireless.opts config file:
> # updated according to
> # http://danplanet.com/dell_3800.html
> *,*,*,*)
>         ESSID="linksys"
>         mode="Ad-Hoc"
>         DHCP="y"
>         NICKNAME="debian"
>         ;;
>
> The ESSID is what the router broadcasts as (not sure of how to say that,
> but basically it's the default name for the router). (Once I get
> everything working I'm going to change it to a cooler name.)

I didn't have to change anything in wireless.opts

> lsmod shows:
> debian:/usr/src/linux# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> NVdriver             1065088  11
> orinoco                29224   0 (unused)
> hermes                  3332   0 [orinoco]
> ds                      6472   3
> i82365                 21240   3
> pcmcia_core            41184   0 [ds i82365]
> sg                     23292   0 (unused)
> sr_mod                 12688   0 (unused)
> loop                    7832   0 (unused)

I think you need another module.  I have orinoco_cs module loaded, too.
You can try manually loading it (modprobe orinoco_cs).  See what dmesg
says after you do that.