Re: apt- and dselect

alex <radsky@ncia.net> writes:
> I tried running deselect and received this error message:
>
> E: Malformed line 2 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (deb)
> update available list script returned error exit status 1.
> Press <enter> to continue

> This is the trouble maker line:
>
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/stable/

It sounds like you've got a lot of typoing going on; this should
almost certainly be

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stable main

> I checked the web for information about the trouble-maker
> source and discovered that it has a history of causing
> problems, going back to 1999.  So, why was it on my 2003
> Debian 7 CD set?  Did I get a joker set?  It says 'Stable"
> on the CDs.

Huh?  That sources.list line gets packages off the Internet, not your
CDs.

> Failed to fetch
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/dselect/main/binary-i386/
> Packages  404 Not Found [IP: 35.9.37.225 80]

That's probably another typo.  Do you have 'dselect' instead of
'stable' in sources.list?  How many sources do you have for Debian
stable, anyways?  One should be plenty...

> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
> dselect/main Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_dselect_main_binary-i386_Packages)
> - stat (2 No such file or directory)

...all the rest of this falls out of previous errors.

	-- Abra Mitchell