Re: apt- and dselect

alex wrote:

I haven't been able to get apt- and dselect to finish the
'update' phase when I try to download and install packages
from the sites recommended for deb packages but they work
ok when they're used with Debian CD's.

I don't think it is a modem problem because email and web
browsing work fine on Debian's Mozilla.

I have successfully downloaded a deb package (no 'required'
packages) as an ordinary file with Windows98, burned it on a CD, and run the CD on Debian with apt and was able to install the package--a tedious process. (I haven't yet gotten to the point where I can burn CD's on Debian.)

Once you have the .deb locally, you can simply run "dpkg -i your_file_to_be_installed.deb", saving a bit of tedium perhaps.

apt and dselect seem to start 'update' OK and and appear to find some files but in a short time, an error notice shows
up, (error 1,  error2,  404 and the like) and the 'update'
stops.

I'm not sure about the "error 1", "error 2", but the 404 is a standard "can't find internet site" error. Sounds like maybe you've got errors in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

Perhaps off track but related.........
Am I mistaken in my understanding that when a deb package
is downloaded/installed with apt- commands, its 'required' support packages are automatically included or is it necessary to get them separately first? How about 'recommended' support packages?

Assuming you have a live source (a network connection, the appropriate CDs, etc), apt will acquire and install any required dependencies for you. For example, "apt-get install kde" requires bunches of stuff, and will download everything and install it.

I don't believe apt will get recommends, whereas dselect will, but I'm not an authoritative source for an answer on this.