sbpcd mount fails during install

>>I'm having trouble installing Debian 2.2_11 on
a >>486
>>with a SoundBlaster 16 Value card driving a
>>CR-563-B
>>CD-ROM drive.  I use "sbpcd=0x220,1" for the
>>command
>>line parameter (the address is 220 when
>>configured
>>under DOS and works correctly there).
>>Installation of
>>the sbpcd driver is successful, but when I try
>>to use
>>the cd-rom to do the base system installation,
>>the
>>mount fails.  Help, what am I doing wrong?
>>
>>Hugh Martin
>>

>Hi. did you ever get an answer to this?
>I'm trying to salvage an old 486 66mhz that was
>running win 3.11 with a sound blaster 16 CD.
>everything works.
>when booting from the 'vanilla' rescue.bin, at
>the boot: prompt, I type:
>linux sbpcd=0x220,5
>I have also tried:
>linux sbpcd=0x220,SoundBlaster
>but neither works.
>any suggestions?
>
>xucaen

The correct address for Linux is 0x230, even though DOS works with 220.  I don't know why, but I know 0x230 works with Linux.  Also, I've discovered a number of Debian installs based on the 2.1 kernel fail to mount the CD just after "Install Base System", even though the sbpcd driver is installed.  Other Debian CD sets do work using the identical installation steps.

Hugh Martin

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup