Re: ogg to mp3 audio (also via 8233a question)

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:28:53 -0800 (PST)
Jack Pistachio <jackpistachio@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Encoding to either ogg or mp3 is lossy, but when converting
> back to wav the information in the mp3 or ogg audio should
> be retained completely.

    Erm, no.  These two statements are mutually exclusive.  The very
definition of lossy compression is that information is lost.  Hence, lossy.
Lossless compression loses no information.

    Forms of lossless compression: gzip, zip, rar, arj, lzh, ace, et al.

    Forms of lossy compression: vorbis (ogg being a wrapper), mp3, jpg