Network Printer Offline?

Main computer is Debian Woody, 2.4.18 kernel connected through a Linksys Wireless Point Router to a DSL modem. Printer is HP Deskjet 940c installed with CUPS. KDE System print manager says its URI is ipp://Phoenix:631/printers/lp. (Phoenix has nothing to do with software of that name; I named the computer Phoenix because I have rebuilt it so many times.)

Laptop (my grandson's, not mine) is an IBM Thinkpad, Windows XP with an Actiontec Wireless USB Adapter. Windows XP Add Printer cannot find the Phoenix printer though it has no trouble connecting to the internet through the Router.

A third computer can be booted up in Windows ME with the Actiontec Wireless USB Router. In this case Add Printer reports the Phoenix printer is offline.

As far as I know, the Phoenix printer should be online. It prints documents from KDE and there is a line

   printer stream tcp nowait lp /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd

at the end of inetd.conf.

I am still new at getting all of this set up so perhaps I have missed something crucial. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Tom George