Re: Printer Problems

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 09:23:27PM -0500, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:38:32AM -0500, Thomas H. George,,, wrote:
> >
> > The problem: Printing a simple ASCII file (printtest) from a terminal.
> > The results of lp printtest are as follows:
> >
> >        Epson Stylus Color 860:    Nothing.  There is an error in
> > /var/log/cups/error_log
> >

> If you "cp printtest printtest.txt" and then "lp printtest.txt", do
> you get the same results?
>
> Also, please post output of "head --lines=20 /etc/cups/ppd/*".
>
> --
> Jerome

lp printtest.txt did not work.  Since posting my last message I
downloaded Epson-Stylus_Color-gimp-print-cups.ppd from linuxprinting.org
and added a second printer (ep) using this driver.  lp -d ep
printtest.txt also does not work.  I am posting the tops of both ppd
files down through LanguageLevel as I now recall that when I first began
using this printer a year ago with CUPS installed from the cd I had to
set the language level to 1.  I just tried editing one of the ppd's to
change the language level to 1 and then, after stopping and restarting
cupsys, running lp printtest.txt again - still with no success.

*PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
*%
*% For information on using this, and to obtain the required backend
*% script, consult http://www.linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html
*%
*% CUPS-O-MATIC generated this PPD file.  It is for use with the CUPS
*% printing system and the "cupsomatic" backend filter script.  These
*% two files work together to support the use of arbitrary free
*% software drivers with CUPS, replete with basic support for
*% driver-provided options.
*%
*% You may save this file as 'Epson-Stylus_Color_860-gimp-print-cups.ppd'
*%
*%
*FormatVersion:	"4.3"
*FileVersion:	"1.1"
*LanguageVersion: English
*LanguageEncoding: ISOLatin1
*PCFileName:	"GIMP-PRI.PPD"
*Manufacturer:	"Epson"
*Product:	"(Stylus Color 860)"
*cupsVersion:	1.0
*cupsManualCopies: True
*cupsModelNumber:  2
*cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 cupsomatic"
*ModelName:     "Epson Stylus Color 860, Foomatic + gimp-print"
*ShortNickName: "Epson Stylus Color 860, gimp-print"
*NickName:      "Epson Stylus Color 860, Foomatic + gimp-print"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 550"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 651"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 652"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 653"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 704"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 705"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 800"
*LanguageLevel:	"3"
*ColorDevice:	True

*PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
*%PPD file for CUPS/GIMP-print.
*%Copyright 1993-2001 by Easy Software Products, All Rights Reserved.
*%This PPD file may be freely used and distributed under the terms of
*%the GNU GPL.
*FormatVersion:	"4.3"
*FileVersion:	"4.2.2-pre2"
*LanguageVersion: English
*LanguageEncoding: ISOLatin1
*PCFileName:	"escp2-860.ppd"
*Manufacturer:	"EPSON"
*Product:	"(GIMP-print v4.2.2-pre2)"
*ModelName:     "escp2-860"
*ShortNickName: "EPSON Stylus Color 860"
*NickName:      "EPSON Stylus Color 860, CUPS+GIMP-print v4.2.2-pre2"
*PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 550"
*LanguageLevel:	"2"
*ColorDevice:	True
*DefaultColorSpace: RGB

I hope this information provides a useful clue.

Tom George