Re: gnome kde conflict

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 09:49:27AM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> So you're saying that we will have KDE 2 and KDE 3.1 in sid (and,
> subsequently, sarge) at the same time?

No, we won't. However, the original transition plan [1] specified that
the libqt2 dependency chain would remain with the old C++ ABI for the
benefit of locally installed software and any Qt2-dependent packages
that don't get converted to Qt3 before sarge; as I understand it the
libfam0 issue wasn't noticed until after the transition started, but it
does need to be thought about. It might be that the only viable approach
is to say that we won't support the libqt2 dependency chain with newer
libfam-dependent packages simultaneously installed, which would be
unfortunate but possibly unavoidable.

[1] http://people.debian.org/~rmurray/c++transition.html