Re: columbia -- what really happened

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 19:49, Russell wrote:
> Vikki Roemer wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 06:02:21PM +1100, Joyce, Matthew wrote:

> > OTOH, space exploration and research improves everyone's lives-- new
> > medicines and medical techniques, etc.  So how is it a waste?  How is
> > it anymore of a waste than welfare and socialized medicine?  Not
> > trying to start a flame war, just asking a serious question here--
> > welfare just rewards people for being lazy and not working, in my
> > experience.  Believe me, I knew a lot of kids in school who *aspired*
> > to 'being like my parents' or 'being like [best friend's] parents' and
> > being paid to sit around at home all day and have fun, collecting
> > welfare. *sigh*

If anyone wonders why Republicans (and Regan Democrats) get so angry
with the goverment, this is it...

> IMHO, space work should be only unmanned satellite launches, with all
> the saved money used on more fusion power programs. Space exploration
> should proceed after making a viable source of long lasting fusion power.

You are The Man!  Although I think it shouldn't just be fusion power,
since fusion "generators" might not be able to be made small enough
or clean enough for ships take off and land.

The concept of "H-bombs and pusher plates" for deep space travel sounds
pretty cool, though.  The "only" problems are developing a strong-
enough pusher plate, and withstanding the incredible bursts of accel-
eration...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ ron.l.johnson |
| "For me and windows it became a matter of easy to start    |
|  with, and becoming increasingly difficult to be produc-   |
|  tive as time went on, and if something went wrong very    |
|  difficult to fix, compared to linux's large over head     |
|  setting up and learning the system with ease of use and   |
|  the increase in productivity becoming larger the longer I |
|  use the system."                                          |
|   Rohan Nicholls , The Netherlands                         |