Re: *.wma

Mark <markdrago@mail.com> writes:

> DvB wrote:
>
> >"Sergey A. Ovchar" <ovserg@kah.hs.ukrtel.net> writes:
> >

> >>Hi.
> >>Can anyone help me about encoding from subject format to cdr, mp3 or wav for recording it to the CD's.
> >>
> >>And how can I play the *.wma's using XMMS ?
> >>

> >.wma stands for "Windows Media Audio" which is a proprietary format
> >developed by Microsoft and, hence, cannot be played or decoded on
> >Linux. At least I think they can't be played, uless maybe realplayer has
> >this capability (which I don't think it does).
> >
> >You might try searching the internet for "xmms windwos media codec" or
> >somesuch, but I doubt you'll be very successful.
> >
> Any self respecting slashdot reader will remember this article [1] which
> announced ffmpeg's [2] groundbreaking wma decoder.  I'm not sure if any
> work has gone into integrating this into xmms, but atleast you know it
> exists.

mplayer tells me

Requested audio codec family [divx] (afm=acm) not available (enable it at compilation!)
*** Try to upgrade /home/foo/.mplayer/codecs.conf from etc/codecs.conf
*** If it still does not work, read DOCS/codecs.html!
Can't find codec for audio format 0x161!

when I try to play wma files from the ubl.com downloads section.

I compiled and installed 0.90-pre9-0 using the debian/rules tarball
available on the mplayer website. I find it hard to believe that divx
wouldn't be enabled by default :-\