[kleptog@svana.org: Re: Recent glibc time_t redefinition?]

----- Forwarded message from "John H. Robinson, IV"  -----

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:38:25 -0800
From: "John H. Robinson, IV"
Subject: [kleptog@svana.org: Re: Recent glibc time_t redefinition?]
To: kplug-list@kernel-panic.org

remember the time_t thing we were discussing? how dates before the epuch
nolonge rwork?

well, on another list, this same issue was discussed. here is a message
from that thread:

----- Forwarded message from Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> -----

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:13:28PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 10:05:52AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 06:50:42AM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> > > Can anyone provide me with mailing list archive URLs from when this change
> > > would have been discussed publically?
> >
> > I assume it was deliberate? Or was it unintentional?
>
> I'm assuming it was deliberate also, to address the 2038 bug. I've seen
> much talk of it back in 2000 in Google, but nothing more recent.

It was deliberate. The postgresql guys noticed when some release redhat
shipped with these modifications. They tried to convince the glibc guys to
revert but they refused.

Basically, POSIX doesn't define mktime() before 1970, so glibc doesn't
support it. Or so the argument goes.

IIRC, postgresql has now copied the mktime code from FreeBSDs libc to deal
with the problem. Or maybe they're just thinking about it.

Some references:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2002/debian-glibc-200205/msg00010.html
http://maths.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/help/03a/0066.html
http://archives.postgresql.org/search.php?ps=10&q=glibc+mktime&ps=10&wm=wrd&o=0&ul=%2Fpgsql-hackers%2F&m=all&wf=222211&cat
> Support bacteria! They're the only culture some people have.

----- End forwarded message -----

-john

--
  http://www.kernel-panic.org