Re: give me the command line - REPHRASED

David Atencia wrote:

----- Mensaje Original -----
De: Kent West <westk@acu.edu>
Fecha: Lunes, Febrero 3, 2003 4:32 pm
Asunto: Re: give me the command line - REPHRASED

Hans Christian Andersen wrote:

On booting my woody-box it goes directly into X without letting
me command
startx.
How do I make it stay at a command line untill I order startx?

Regards/venlig hilsen
Hans Christian Andersen

You have an X session manager installed (wdm, xdm, gdm, kdm). Uninstall it with:
  apt-get remove kdm
(or whichever _dm is installed).

You could also delete/move/modify the script/link in /etc/init.d or /etc/rc?.d (where ? is the default runlevel, probably 2) which starts your session manager.

You can search the list archives for gdm and/or kdm and/or session manager and learn more abou this issue, but the remove command above should solve your immediate problem.

Kent

Hi!!!
The better form to solve your problem is:
 1º go to your /etc directory.
 2º edit the inittab file
 3º look for the line where it puts "default runlevel"
 4º change the runlevel number 5 by 3
This actually won't work because debian installs all the runlevels from 2-5 as the same thing. So, changing the default runlevel from 5 to 3 won't change anything. The real way of getting this done is to remove the window manager script from whatever runlevel is the default. I would actually remove it from ru nlevel 3 and make runlevel 3 the default. There was a thread on this on debian-devel last week and it was decided that this method of installing all of the runlevels with all of the init scripts is the best way of handling things because it gives the user the best control over the system. Your method of changing the runlevel from 5 to 3 would work on most other distributions, but not debian.

--Mark.