Re: give me the command line - REPHRASED

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 05:06:42PM +0100, David Atencia wrote:
> > Hans Christian Andersen wrote:
> >
> > >On booting my woody-box it goes directly into X without letting
> > me command
> > >startx.
> > >How do I make it stay at a command line untill I order startx?

> The better form to solve your problem is:
>   1º go to your /etc directory.
>   2º edit the inittab file
>   3º look for the line where it puts "default runlevel"
>   4º change the runlevel number 5 by 3

5) stop thinking redhat
6) remember that the default runlevel in debian is 2, not 5
7) remember that there is no difference between the runlevels 2, 3, 4
   and 5 in a default debian configuration
8) do what all the other people said or customize runlevel 3 to not
   start a display manager (which involves deleting /etc/rc3.d/S99kdm as
   already pointed out)

Stephen Rüger

--
Jede Nation spottet über die andere, und alle haben recht.
-- Schopenhauer