Re: give me the command line - REPHRASED

Hans Christian Andersen wrote:

On booting my woody-box it goes directly into X without letting me command
startx.
How do I make it stay at a command line untill I order startx?

Regards/venlig hilsen
Hans Christian Andersen

You have an X session manager installed (wdm, xdm, gdm, kdm). Uninstall it with:
   apt-get remove kdm
(or whichever _dm is installed).

You could also delete/move/modify the script/link in /etc/init.d or /etc/rc?.d (where ? is the default runlevel, probably 2) which starts your session manager.

You can search the list archives for gdm and/or kdm and/or session manager and learn more abou this issue, but the remove command above should solve your immediate problem.

Kent