Re: Migrate from RedHat to Debian

I guess somehow my story  needs to be told.
heh, have to vent somewhere!

I bought QUE's "IdiotGuide" in 1998, QuE;s "Using
Linux" in 2000, ACP's 'PocketBook' in 2001
and ACP's "Advanced PocketBook" in 2002.
All of these came with various distros of
Caldera,Redhat,OpenLinux,Mandrake,SuSe and Debian.
I never successfully completed ONE of the "auto
loaders = let me lead you through this terrible
traumatic change".
Results were a far cry from a "workable system" - my
evaluation.
Either because of hardware conflicts/misinformation or
total *_Confusion_* as to where the install was taking
my system.
Finally I have arrived, in a fashion that I do at
least partly understand.
This achieved from a totally 'manual install' using
the boot function of the Debian 2r2 CD and apt-get for
a kernel and XFree. I will build on that.
 I would comment:
* the man pages are notes written to developers for
developers so as to 'remind' as to intention
* the docs and --help notes on their own are not an
easy thing to interpret
* others troubles are repetative and prolific

With the support of the texts, developed
interpretation of the Deb docs, much research on
Deja/Google and avoidance of the ignoramus types on
irc.debian.org #debian the result with Debian far
outclasses any other seen with other flavours of
Penguinese - IMHO.

As to *security*,, I shudder to think what I am
driving in comparison to the bunkered Windows boxes I
have setup. Buuut with the changes in the MS
environment I know my Net presence is going to be
better enhanced under the Linux umbrella - I'll just
have to work security up :-)

SiD
"unstable yet breathing"

- What's on at your local cinema?