Re: Migrate from RedHat to Debian

on Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 01:44:10PM +0000, Jimbo De La Fuente (soundfixture@hotmail.com) wrote:

What are the experiences other people have with migrating from RedHat
to Debian. Are there any other options as a distro (I'm looking for a
distro with security written in bold)?

I made the switch about a week ago

primarily because I don't like the RedHat upgrade cycle
...there always seemed to be something I wanted to upgrade to the latest version for - but then I got stuck with latest-realease-bugs too

and upgrading always seemed to disruptive

My experiences of debian so far

1) it made me apreciate the ease of use of the RedHat installer

installing Debian is *much* harder - you actually have to know what you are doing !

2) I actually installed stable and upgraded to testing - very smooth upgrade, *so* much easier that RedHat

3) with RedHat I tended to istall everything as it was hard to solve unmet dependancies later - Debian doesn't have this problem so I have a much lighter system and install what I need as I go on.

4) Debconf means that packages can be configured as part of the installation process, there is less 'autoconfiguring' and thins like init scripts are much easier to read

5) Debian has the brilliant strategy of giving everything a man page - if something doesn't have its own page some lovely developer creates one that says 'this doesn't have a proper man page - see here for the docs'

6) It's quite a learing curve adpating from rpm to apt ...

well I'm still reserving judgement - but so far I'm happy with my move

--

Sean