Re: Migrate from RedHat to Debian

on Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 01:44:10PM +0000, Jimbo De La Fuente (soundfixture@hotmail.com) wrote:

> How long are Debian-releases supported (okay, with 'open' software you
> can  compile/write your own upgrades but that's not an option)?

A given named release is supported until the second subsequent release
is issued, plus a bit, usually.

This is only significant if you're relying on binary compatibility with
a package not included in the Debian distribution itself.  The one
singificant product for which this may be true is Oracle, which is
painfully version specific.

In general, you set your system up to follow a named _state_ rather than
a named release -- stable, testing, unstable, etc.  Your system is
continuously upgraded by running 'apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade'
on an ongoing basis.  It's not unusual for a given system to be updated
nightly in this fashion.

Note that this is pretty significantly different from RH's own named
release and update process, which is considerably *less* friendly.

> What are the experiences other people have with migrating from RedHat
> to Debian. Are there any other options as a distro (I'm looking for a
> distro with security written in bold)?

I made the switch in 1999 and never looked back (though I've adminned RH
systems over most of the time).  Debian's a very nice maintenance and
upgrade setup.

If you wnat to take the plunge gradually, you can start of by installing
Debian as a chroot of your current system.  This lets you get the system
up and running, and configured, before committing yourself to it
completely.  You also have full use of your existing distrobution
during the process.

Further information:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DebianChrootInstall

Peace.